Saturday, July 01, 2006

Taking in the Action at The Field

Having found the Bad Abbots crowd to be shockingly dead this World Cup, my wife and I decided to take in the quarter-finals at The Phoenix Landing on Mass Ave in Central Square. I knew it would be crowded, so we made sure to get there early — 10:00 for an 11:00 kick-off.

As we approached, we saw loads of England fans in their England gear standing outside, so I figured they were waiting for the place to open. Then I saw the sign on the door: "We are at capacity. Please go to The Field." We couldn't believe it! How the hell early did we have to get there?!

Dutifully, we headed to The Field, which is right down around the corner on Prospect Street. The crowd was extremely small when we got there at about 10:10, so I was pretty bummed. But as the kick-off approached, the England people started pouring in, and it was a great crowd. There were people singing songs for England and the crowd's reactions to the play on the pitch were pretty exciting. I'd highly recommend The Field to football fans looking to check out England games in the future.

Here are some snaps from the pub; click any photo to enlarge it:


People sitting along the window sill.


Aerial view of the crowd.


The crowd reacts to a missed penalty by Portugal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home