Wednesday, June 14, 2006

June 14: Best Day of the Tournament

Spain 4-0 Ukraine
Spain looked really good today. Could this finally be the year they get something done in the World Cup? And why did I ever drop David Villa from my fantasy team? (Transferred him back today.)

Tunisia 2-2 Saudi Arabia
Despite what I wrote earlier today about Saudi Arabia, I thought this was the best match of the World Cup. The last 10 minutes of this was a battle that reminded me of Hagler vs Hearns in 1985. I may have to retract my earlier slagging of SA...they showed so much passion today. And though I'd never heard of anyone on either side, I am looking forward to the rest of the fixtures in the group.

Germany 1-0 Poland
This would have been a fine match even at 0-0, but Germany really poured it on at the end and surely won the group today. Klose had a bunch of chances, and Michael Ballack appeared to be pretty sharp despite missing the opener.

I really felt for the Polish fans, though. Their journey ended too soon and they looked so dejected. That'll be a long trip home.

2 Comments:

At June 15, 2006 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, not that long a trip home: at least they're effectively only next door

 
At June 15, 2006 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I meant that figuratively. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home